The most important part of the Snow Goose Chase (Tofield, Alberta, April 27th) is getting kids and their families interested in getting out — outside and outdoors.
My mother and I like to shop at Etsy for new and different things, everything from handmade jewelry and original art to vintage treasures, so I thought I would highlight some fun and inspirational prints and posters that encourage families to GET OUT!
You can tell that Katie Daisy at the wheatfield loves nature because she has lots of prints on the subject:
“Wild and Free”, inspired by a quote by Henry David Thoreau,
“Wild Air”, inspired by a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson,
“Take Me to the Sea”,
From a different shop and artist, 1canoe2’s “Go Outside & Play”,
Hollie Chastain at drkennedyjones says, “Unplug and Go Outside”,
Christmas is just around the corner and I thought it would be helpful again to list some present ideas! Some of these are things I would like to receive myself! Here is a link to a similar post I wrote last year with more ideas.
1. The Laws Guide to Drawing Birds is one of the books I would love to add to my bird book collection. As I’m trying to learn more about drawing birds, this book look very good and helpful.
2. I really like birding calendars, and my favorites are the ones by David Sibley. Here is The Birder’s Year 2013 calendar by David Sibley. David Sibley also has posters of North American Hummingbirds, Backyard Eastern US Birds, Backyard Western US Birds, which are very nice too! More items by David Sibley can be seen here at his website.
3. Earlier this year I won an autographed copy of the Crossley ID Guide to Eastern Birds by Richard Crossley. It’s a wonderful book with terrific photos. I find it very helpful when I’m trying to figure out the age of raptors.
4. You can give a gift memberships to the American Birding Association, Bird Studies Canada, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, or any other birding/nature groups. With all of these groups you will receive various publications and exclusive member info, and you know that you are supporting a good cause.
5. The new coffee-table book from National Geographic and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Birds of Paradise: Revealing the World’s Most Extraordinary Birds. The cover looks beautiful, and I would really like to read it!